Parkside's Montessori Program
The Montessori program (TK - 5th grade) is guided by the principle that each child possesses innate abilities which can be maximized in an environment where the child is an active participant in the learning process.
The program emphasizes the development of every aspect of the child's intellectual, social, and creative abilities, using hand-on materials and structured learning environments. In addition, the Montessori method places emphasis on the attitudes and skills which inspire lifelong learning.
The Montessori program incorporates the following approaches:
- Self-motivation rather than teacher direction
- Group work and individual activity
- Responsible freedom of movement
- Self-educational and self-correcting learning materials
- Emphasis on cooperation and caring for peers, younger students, our environment and planet
- Built-in mastery level and assessment in every material used and student work tasks providing continuous feedback.
The Montessori program is available to students throughout the San Mateo-Foster City School District by a lottery system.
For additional information about Montessori education, please visit the websites or documents below:
- Bay Area Montessori Association (BAMA)
- The American Montessori Society (AMS)
- Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)